Sahara Reporters Latest News Today Saturday 25th July 2020

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today Saturday 25th July 2020

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today and headlines on some of the happenings and news trend in the Country, today 25/07/20

Read also nigeria newspapers Saturday 25th July 2020

Edo Governor, Obaseki, To Begin Re-election Campaign On Saturday

Godwin Obaseki of APC

Governor of Edo State, Mr Godwin Obaseki, will on Saturday begin his campaign for re-election into office.
Special Adviser to Governor Obaseki on Media and Communication Strategy, Mr Crusoe Osagie, disclosed in a statement that the campaign will commence by 10:00am at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin City, the state capital.
He said the event would be conducted in line with the Coronavirus protocols outlined by the Nigerian Government.

Godwin Obaseki

The statement reads, “Governor Obaseki has performed excellently. 
“His campaigns will be showcasing excellent governance and unmatched leadership positives. 
“The acceptance is resounding and deafening and come September 19, 2020 the governor will be re-elected for a second term in office to consolidate on his people-oriented projects and reforms.”
Obaseki defected from the All Progressives Congress to the PDP earlier in June after falling out with the party’s former National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, whom he succeeded as governor.
The two men became adversaries over the tussle to control political affairs in the state.
Obaseki comes up against several notable candidates including Osagie Ize-Iyamu of the APC during the September 19 governorship election.

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Edo 2020: APC Governorship Candidate, Ize-Iyamu, Calls For Violence-free Election

Candidate of the All Progressives Congress for the Edo State governorship election, Osagie Ize-Iyamu, has called for a violence-free election in the state, urging his party’s main rival in the poll, the Peoples Democratic Party to promote the same ideal. Ize-Iyamu made the call in Lagos on Friday during a session with senior journalists and media managers where he canvassed for issues-based engagement with the electorates.
The APC candidate comes up against incumbent governor, Godwin Obaseki, of the PDP and others in the September 19 exercise.

Speaking at the event, Ize-Iyamu said, “We have said that we want this election to be issue-based. We don’t want to resort to name-calling and insults. I can assure you that we as a party will do everything to avoid violence.
“The PDP has posters and billboards all around the place. In fact, they started before us by putting billboards around the place. We got agents to help us ask the state government how much we need to pay for the available spaces, they told us and we paid.
“However, a top government official said how can they allow APC to have billboards in strategic locations? He then ordered them to go and remove the billboards. So, they began to remove our billboards.
“Rather than resolve to violence, we wrote a petition to the Commissioner of Police, we also did the same thing to Director of DSS and Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon addressed the press where he advised the PDP to be accommodating, tolerant, and avoid things that could trigger violence.
“We could have taken the law into our hands by destroying their billboards also but we didn’t do it. From then till now, they have not mentioned that one of their billboards was destroyed. They destroyed our billboards at night, we too could have done any of their own at night but we just left it.
“So, let me assure that by the grace of God, there will be no violence.”
Edo is one of the states in Nigeria’s Niger Delta region where elections are usually characterised by violence and ballot box snatching.
Despite the presence of security personnel, many deaths occur during elections into key positions in many parts of the country.

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements



Presidency Replies PDP, Says Buhari Will Not Resign

The Presidency has insisted that President Muhammadu Buhari will not resign.
Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, said this in response to a call by the Peoples Democratic Party for the resignation of Buhari.
The PDP said Buhari abandoned his promise to fight corruption during electioneering campaigns in 2015 and 2019.
Prince Uche Secondus, National Chairman of PDP, cited ongoing corruption investigations of the Niger Delta Development Commission, North-East Development Commission, Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and others as part of reasons forming their call for his resignation.

In response, Shehu accused the PDP of preferring Buhari not to investigate corruption, noting that the President was determined to continue the crusade against corruption.
The statement reads, “At a time when the whole world is unifying to confront a common enemy, Nigeria’s opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, has launched a whirlwind campaign promoting undemocratic values, the latest manifestation of which is the call for President Muhammadu Buhari’s resignation for allowing audits and investigation into several agencies of government including the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
“Based on the statement issued by the embattled Chairman of the party, Prince Uche Secondus, it is clear that they would have liked the President to not investigate but to cover things up: to not wake the sleeping lion as voiced by another of their leaders.
“In a democracy, an opposition party is as critical to the system as the ruling party but in the case of Nigeria, the leading party in opposition is afflicted by a life-threatening sickness, the undemocratic pandemic as a result of which they are trading away the nation’s democratic values.

See Also

Breaking News

BREAKING: PDP Asks President Buhari To Resign Over Alleged Massive Corruption In NDDC, EFCC, Others

0 Comments

12 Hours Ago

“The PDP government which exited the stage five years ago through a democratic election by voters dissatisfied with corruption on an industrial scale, policy paralysis, obsolete and decaying essential infrastructure appears to have forgotten the reason for their stunning defeat and seem hell-bent on the fooling the nation, yet again for another ride to power.
“President Buhari will not resign. He is determined to continue the crusade against corruption, both legacy and recently unearthed cases, that are found to be shabbily handled, and in some cases unattended to by past administrations. The National Assembly, by virtue of its right to conduct its oversight function is currently carrying out own investigations. Additionally, the security and intelligence agencies are equally doing their part and must be given the time and space to conclude their work and present their reports.
“The PDP cannot scare the government from probing the grave allegations made against MDAs and their chiefs because, failure to do so will amount to a historic betrayal of public trust.
“The PDP cannot subject Nigeria’s democracy to subterranean attacks and continue to pretend that they are well-meaning.”

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

#BlackLivesMatter: Federal Police Fire Teargas At Protesters As Demonstrations Enter Day 56 In Portland

Federal law enforcement officers fire at protesters and form a line on a public street during a demonstration against police violence and racial inequality in Portland, Oregon, U.S., July 24, 2020
Federal agents fire tear gas again at Portland protesters

There was a clash between protesters and police in Portland on Friday as the #BlackLivesMatter entered day 56.
The federal agents fired tear gas canisters at the protesters as they gathered at midnight, Reuters reported.

Federal law enforcement officers fire at protesters and form a line on a public street during a demonstration against police violence and racial inequality in Portland, Oregon, U.S., July 24, 2020

REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs RE-ELECTIO

The protesters said they were hit with projectiles and lasers as the federal agents pushed them back up a block from the federal courthouse.
Journalists were also not spared from the attack.

Federal agents fire tear gas again at Portland protesters

REUTERS

Security forces have frequently tear-gassed and clubbed demonstrators during the unrest.
The U.S. Justice Department said on Thursday it would investigate the use of force by federal agents in Portland after another night of unrest in which Mayor Ted Wheeler was tear-gassed.
Earlier on Thursday, a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order barring federal law enforcement from using force against journalists and legal observers at the Portland protests.

International

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

UPDATE: Police Arrest Four Personnel Involved In Harassment Of Lady In Viral Video

The Nigeria Police Force said it had arrested all four of its officers involved in the harassment and molestation of a lady found at a scene of an arrest.
Some officials of the force had gone from Lagos to Ibadan, Oyo State, to arrest a suspected criminal when a lady identified as Towobola was met at the scene.
The officers harassed her by asking her vulgar and sensual questions.
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, condemned the act of the officers and ordered a discreet investigation into the circumstances surrounding the dehumanising treatment of the lady.

The police said following an investigation, three of its officers and one civilian accomplice, who participated in the unprofessional act, were identified, while two had been arrested.
In an update on the case today (Friday), the police said the other two persons involved had been arrested.
“The Nigeria Police have arrested the remaining two persons involved in the dehumanizing treatment of a female citizen in a viral video making the rounds since Wednesday, 22nd July, 2020, bringing the total number of persons now in police custody to four.
“The two additional persons arrested are CPL Aiyedun Akeem and one Ope Owoeye — the civilian accomplice popularly known as ‘Wyclef’. Recall that ASP Tijani Olatunji and Inspr Gboyega were earlier arrested for their involvement in the case,” the police disclosed via its official Twitter handle.
The police said investigation was still ongoing after which the internal disciplinary procedures will commence for the officers.
The police also stated that police detectives from the State CID, Panti, Yaba, Lagos, have established contact with the victim with assurances that justice will be done.

Video of Perverted Police Officers Molest And Harass Lady Allegedly Caught With A Violent Criminal

Perverted Police Officers Molest And Harass Lady Allegedly Caught With A Violent Criminal

WATCH VIDEO

Police

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Court Declares Army’s Operation Positive Identification Illegal

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has declared the military exercise tagged Operation Positive Identification by the Nigerian Army as illegal. 
Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), had on October 25, 2019 filed a suit against the Nigerian Army, the Chief of Army Staff, and Attorney-General of the Federation over the exercise.
Falana asked the court to declare the operation as unconstitutional, illegal, null and void.
Justice Rilwan Aikawa in his ruling on Friday said the army had no power to breach Nigerians’ rights to free and unrestricted movement as guaranteed by the constitution.

The Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, had earlier filed a response, praying the court to dismiss Falana’s suit.
Malami was represented by Dayo Apata (SAN), who argued that the human rights lawyer lacks the locus to institute the case.
Dismissing the Attorney-General’s objections and the Nigerian army, Justice Aikawa held that the applicant had the locus standi to have brought the case before the court.
The judge held that the plaintiff had locus since the planned military action will affect his (Falana) fundamental rights as guaranteed by the Nigerian constitution as well as other Nigerians.
The court also restrained the respondents from carrying out the operations as planned, while declaring that such operation will violate the rights of Nigerians to their constitutionally-guaranteed freedom of movement.
Upholding the arguments, the court dismissed the respondents preliminary objections, holding that the plaintiff had locus standing to institute the suit as well as declaring that the army had no right to breach the fundamental rights of Nigerians to move freely within the country.

Military

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Marketing Of IQOS Authorised By United States FDA As A Modified Risk Tobacco Product

The United States Food and Drug Administration has authorised the marketing of IQOS, Philip Morris International’s electrically heated tobacco system, as a modified risk tobacco product (MRTP), a report by allafrica.com, has said.
In doing so, the agency found that an IQOS exposure modification order is appropriate to promote public health.
It was stated that the decision demonstrates that IQOS is a fundamentally different tobacco product and a better choice for adults, who would otherwise continue smoking.
 

Google

It is said to be the first and only electronic nicotine product to be granted marketing orders through the FDA’s MRTP process, the report revealed.
The report further stated that the product, scientific research had shown, posed almost no risk for users’ health.
Millions of users in the United States and other countries are said to have switched to this mode of smoking.
This decision follows a review of the extensive scientific evidence package PMI submitted to the FDA in December 2016 to support its MRTP applications.
Commenting on the FDA’s announcement, André Calantzopoulos, PMI’s Chief Executive Officer, said, “The FDA’s decision is a historic public health milestone. Many of the tens of millions of American men and women who smoke today will quit—but many won’t. The decision makes it possible to inform these adults that switching completely to IQOS is a better choice than continuing to smoke.
“FDA determined that scientific studies show that switching completely from conventional cigarettes to IQOS reduces exposure to harmful or potentially harmful chemicals.
“IQOS is a fundamentally different product than combustible cigarettes and must be regulated differently, as the FDA has recognised.”

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements



E2%80%93senate-president We Will Ensure Just, Fair Deal For All Parts Of Nigeria –Senate President

Ahmad Lawan

President of the Nigerian Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has promised that they will ensure that every part of the country received a just and fair deal.
Lawan said this when he received delegates of the Ohaneze Ndigbo group.
The Senate President said notwithstanding their different political platforms, the national interest had remained their guiding principle in the National Assembly.

Ahmad Lawan

He added that lawmakers would always ensure inclusion and a sense of belonging for the South-East, according to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Ola Awoniyi.
“I want to assure you that the Senate will always stand by national interest” Lawan told a delegation of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, an Igbo socio-cultural association.
“We believe in unity and the need for every ethnic group, every religious persuasion to have a very fair deal within the country.
“We will work with your representatives from the South-East. We will do everything to support them.
“We can see the commitment of the Federal Government under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari in ensuring that every part of Nigeria gets some infrastructure development.”

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Police Clear Nigerian Musician, D’Banj, Of Rape As Accuser Withdraws Petition

Seyitan Babatayo, a lady, who accused Nigerian musician, Oladapo Oyebanjo widely known as D’Banj, of rape has written a letter to the police withdrawing her petition.
Recalled that Seyitan had in June accused D’banj of raping her in a hotel on December 30, 2018.
In a letter dated July 17, 2020 addressed to the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, through her lawyer, Olamide Omileye, Seyitan said she was withdrawing the case for personal reasons.

“We hereby officially notify you of our client’s intention to withdraw and discontinue her petition against Mr Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo aka D’Banj for personal reasons.
“Our client further humbly applies that the investigation and all other action that is currently being carried out by the police with respect to the statement,” the letter posted on Twitter by blogger, Kemi Olunloyo, read in part.
In his response to the letter, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Admin), Umar Sanda, said the investigation had been discontinued due to lack of evidence.

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Councillor, Police Inspector, Three Others Kidnapped In Adamawa State

A local government councillor, police inspector and three others have been kidnapped in Adamawa State, SaharaReporters can confirm.
Sources told our correspondent that unidentified gunmen stormed Koma Village under Jada Local Government Area of the state on Thursday night to carry out the heinous act.
The councillor representing Koma Ward in Jada Local Government Area, Bulus Geoffrey, Inspector Yakubu, Hammanjidda Hammanjalo, Hajiya Amina and the two wives of a popular hunter, Mallam Hassan, were those identified to have been kidnapped.

Also, a man identified as Wawu was reported to have been killed by the assailants during the operation.
Spokesperson for the police in the state, DSP Sulaiman Nguroje, confirmed the incident, saying the kidnappers were being trailed.
He said, “The incident actually happened and the police in conjunction with the local hunters are currently on the trail of the kidnappers.”

CRIME

Police

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Read also Nigerian Newspapers Today and Nigeria News Today

Sahara Reporters Latest News today

You can also check Sahara Reporters Newspaper Headlines Today