Sahara Reporters Latest News Saturday 14th September 2019

Sahara Reporters Latest News Saturday 14th September 2019

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today and headlines on some of the happenings and news trend in the Country, today 14/09/19

Read also Leadership Newspapers News Today Saturday 14th September 2019

Air Force Attacks Boko Haram Training Facilities In Borno

The training facilities of Boko Haram terrorists in the Northern part of Borno State have been destroyed by air raids, the Nigerian Air Force said on Friday.
A report by The Nation quoted the spokesperson for the Air Force, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, as saying that the facilities were located in Mallam Fatori in the fringes of Lake Chad.
Daramola explained in a statement that terrorists, who were occupying the facilities were also neutralised.
He said, “The Air Task Force of Operation LAFIYA DOLE has recorded another major feat with the destruction of an Islamic State of West Africa Province training camp near Mallam Fatori on the fringes of Lake Chad in the Northern part of Borno State.
“The operation was executed on September 10, 2019, based on credible intelligence reports and confirmatory Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions that identified a building on one of the Lake Chad islands that was being used by the terrorists as a facility to indoctrinate and train new fighters.
“The ATF therefore dispatched its aircraft to attack the location, which upon arrival over the target area observed significant activity of the terrorists.
“The attack aircraft scored devastating hits on the building completely destroying it and neutralising the ISWAP occupants.
“The few other fighters seen fleeing the location were mopped-up by follow-on attacks.”

Boko Haram

Insurgency

Military

Terrorism

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Amaju Pinnick’s Lagos Mansion Sealed By ICPC

The Lagos mansion of President of the Nigerian Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, has been sealed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.
The commission sealed the property located at Park View Estate and placed it under investigation on Friday.
The anti-graft agency made the announcement through its official Twitter handle.
Earlier on Friday, the ICPC had also sealed the Abuja residence of the second Vice President of the NFF, Shehu Dikko.The Commission has also placed a mansion in Maitama, Abuja, belonging to Shehu Dikko, 2nd Vice President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and Chairman of League Management Company of Nigeria, under investigation.#DoTheRightThing #IntegrityPays pic.twitter.com/aBqzWOxogJ— ICPC Nigeria (@ICPC_PE) September 13, 2019

Corruption

CRIME

Sports

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

BREAKING: Anxiety As Police Rush Agba Jalingo To Hospital

There is currently tension at the detention facility where Publisher of CrossRiverWatch, an online news portal, Agba Jalingo, is being held after the police rushed him to an undisclosed hospital for urgent medical attention, sources at the scene toldSaharaReporters.
Jalingo was arrested at his Lagos residence and has remained in detention since then without arraignment.
His health is said to have deteriorated after a week in detention with his hands and feet swollen due to restraints.
However, on Friday afternoon while vacation Judge, Justice Isoni Francisca of the State High Court, was expected to rule on a motion challenging the jurisdiction of the court over an enforcement of fundamental human rights suit; Jalingo was said to have had difficulty breathing and was immediately rushed to a hospital.
When reached, a staff of CrossRiverWatch, who is allowed controlled access to him, said Jalingo had been having health challenges for some days.
He said, “He (Jalingo) had been in high spirits despite some health challenges which he kept waving aside.
“I visited the facility as soon as I was alerted and those on duty said they couldn’t talk.
“We are trying to locate where he is so that our doctors can also observe what is going on.”
 

ACTIVISM

Human Rights

Journalism

Politics

Breaking News

MEDIA

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

UPDATE: Seven Dead, Dozens Missing In Attack On Borno Community

At least seven persons were killed while dozens others have remained missing after Boko Haram insurgents attacked Gubio in Borno State on Thursday evening. 
A member if the Civilian Joint Task Force, who disclosed the incident to SaharaReporters, Bukar Abdul, said that the insurgents killed four soldiers and a leader of CJTF in Gubio named Maradona.
Abdul revealed that three gun trucks and a utility vehicle belonging to the late CJTF leader was taken away by the terrorists during the raid on Gubio town.
He said, “They purposely came for CJTF members and soldiers, their target was not residents.
“We are going to miss Maradona, our leader who died protecting Gubio.
“We have given him a befitting burial according to Islamic rites. The whole town stood still today for him.
“I can assure you that we are going to fight Boko Haram with the last blood in our veins.”
Speaking further, Abdul said that the insurgents came with heavy weapons to attack Gajiganna military base and that they burnt down an armoured tank and seized a utility vehicle.
Saharareportershad earlier reported that hundreds of residents fled their homes in simultaneous and coordinated attacks by Boko Haram terrorists in the northern part of Borno state on Thursday.

Boko Haram

Insurgency

Military

Police

Terrorism

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Election Tribunal: PDP Raises The Alarm Over Delay In Releasing Record of Judgment

 
The Peoples Democratic Party has raised the alarm over the delay by the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal to release the record of its judgment to the party and its candidate, Atiku Abubakar.
The PDP said the tribunal was holding on to the judgment in order to frustrate the appeal process at the Supreme Court.
The party, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, alleged that the delay was a calculated attempt from some quarters to frustrate the PDP’s case.
Ologbondiyan said, “It is instructive to state that the Court of Appeal is aware that our party and candidate have mandatory 14 days to appeal to the Supreme Court, yet it is delaying in releasing a judgment that was read for nine hours and which it wants the public to believe it actually wrote.
“Our party fears that this development is lending credence to suspicion in the public space that the judgment is being tampered with and altered in the name of correcting errors, knowing that there is no way the verdict can stand the scrutiny of the Supreme Court.
“The PDP, therefore, demands the immediate release of the record of judgment as delivered by the tribunal without any form of alteration.”

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

sAharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Osinbajo To Represent Buhari At Mugabe’s Burial

 
Nigeria’s Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, will attend the burial of former Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe, on Saturday, the Presidency has announced.
Mugabe attended Buhari’s inauguration in 2015 while he was leader of Zimbabwe and maintained good relationship with the President until he was toppled in 2017 by a military coup.
In a tweet on Friday, the Presidency said Osinbajo will depart on Friday to join other Heads of State at the funeral.
The tweet reads, “Vice President @ProfOsinbajo will be representing President @MBuhari at the state Funeral for former President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, tomorrow.
“The VP will be joining other African leaders and Heads of State expected at the occasion scheduled for the country’s National Stadium in Harare.
“Heads of State expected to attend the funeral include President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa and President Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya.
“Vice President @ProfOsinbajo, who will be accompanied on the trip by senior government officials, is expected back in Nigeria later on Saturday.”

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SAharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Tribunal Ruling: Be Careful Of Lai Mohammed, HURIWA Tells Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari and Lai Mohammed

President Muhammadu Buhari and Lai Mohammed

 
The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to be careful of Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed.
The group, angered by the comment of the minister on the ruling of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal, said that if President Buhari ever aspires to leave any enduring legacies of statesmanship and patriotism to Nigerians, he must get rid of Mohammed.
Mohammed, had asked former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, and the Peoples Democratic Party challenging Buhari’s victory during the February 2019 election at the tribunal to be sorry and grateful for escaping being prosecuted.
Reacting to the comment, HURIWA slammed Mohammed for his comments after the ruling.
The group said, “Only a delusional politician can be heard demanding that someone like the former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, who chose the most civilized and constitutional route to seek legal redress over his perceived ‘short-changing’ by the Independent National Electoral Commission, should apologise for choosing to go to court.
“We urge President Buhari to steer clear of Lai Mohammed who is simply a political opportunist.
“By this outlandish outburst, has shown himself as a politician who stokes up crises for selfish aggrandisement.”
Mohammed had while reacting to the tribunal’s ruling on Thursday said, “It is intriguing that a party that trumpets the rule of law at every turn will present, in open court, evidence it claimed to have obtained by hacking into a supposed INEC server.
“Don’t they realise this is a criminal act for which they are liable? Instead of threatening to head to the Supreme Court, driven more by ego than common sense, they should be sorry for allowing desperation to overwhelm their sense of reasoning. Enough is enough.”

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SAharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Musician, Eedris Abdulkareem, Calls For Sowore’s Release In New Song

 
Nigerian musician and social critic, Eedris Abdulkareem, in his newly released music video titled #FreeSoworeNow, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari and the Nigerian Government to release pro-democracy activist and convener of RevolutionNowmovement, Omoyele Sowore.
Sowore was arrested in Lagos on August 3 by operatives of the Department of State Services for calling on Nigerians to take to the streets to express their anger over the poor state of leadership in the country.
Despite growing calls for his release by local and international groups, the DSS has continued to hold on to him, breaching his fundamental human rights in the process.
The new music video by Abdulkareem can be viewed through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtOMuCzbR70. 

Video of New release by Eedris Abdulkareem #FreeSoworeNow

New release by Eedris Abdulkareem #FreeSoworeNow

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Our Challenge Rescuing Siasia’s Mother –Police

Samson Siaisia

Samson Siaisia

 
The police in Bayelsa State has lamented the difficulties they have faced in their effort to rescue the abducted mother of former Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia.
Commissioner of Police in the state, Uche Anozia, said this on Friday while giving an update on effort they were making to rescue Mrs Beauty Siasia from her kidnappers.
He told journalists in Yenagoa that the impediment bordered on the “changing of locations” of the bandits.
The 80-year-old woman has spent 62 days in her abductors’ custody after some armed gunmen invaded her Odoni country home in Sagbama Local Government Area of the state and took her away on July 15, 2019.
She had initially been abducted in November 2015 by a gang of gunmen, who released her after 12 days in captivity.
Three days after the latest incident, the kidnappers reportedly contacted the Siasia family to demand N70m as ransom before finally bringing it down to N50m, according to a report by PUNCH.
Anozia said, “The police have been trailing the abductors in spite of the fact that they have been changing location.
“The fundamental aspect of our operations that is of interest to us is the achievement of positive result and not actually occasional dissemination of information concerning efforts being made by the police to achieve such result.
“This is why we have not been coming on air to update the public.”
 

Police

Sports

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Tribunal Verdict: I Would Have Been Traumatised, Says Buhari

 
President Muhammadu Buhari has admitted being shaken while the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal delivered its judgment on Wednesday, according to a report by PUNCH.
The President said he used the cover of the first meeting of the Federal Executive Council, which was going on at the time of tribunal’s sitting, to absorb pressure.
He spoke in Abuja while receiving All Progressives Congress state governors at the Presidential Villa on Friday.
The governors came to congratulate him on his victory at the tribunal.
The President admitted that he didn’t really know how the judgment would have turned, adding that “I would have been traumatised” had the judgment gone in favour of the opposition.
“I think I would have gone into trauma or something”, he said.
Buhari’s confession is different from a State House statement earlier issued on Wednesday, claiming that he was “unperturbed”.
 

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Sahara Reporters Latest News

You can also check Sahara Reporters Newspaper Headlines Today