Sahara Reporters Latest News Sunday 20th January 2019

Sahara Reporters Latest News Sunday 20th January 2019

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today and headlines on some of the happenings and news trend in the Country, today 20/01/19

Read also Leadership Newspapers News Today Sunday 20th January 2019

target=_blank>BREAKING: John Momoh Quits As Chairman Of BON

John Momoh, Chairman of Channels Media Group (CMG), has left his position as Chairman of the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON).
This was revealed at the presidential debate organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) on Saturday.
Godfrey Ohuabunwa was announced as the acting Chairman of BON.
Officially announcing the new position, Ohuabunwa said: “I want to let you know that John Momoh has just left as the Chairman of BON and I am the newest chairman of BON.”
Ohuabunwa is currently the Group Managing Director at Gospell Digital Technology.

Journalism

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

E2%80%94-durotoye-moghalu-lambast-buhari-atiku target=_blank>‘They Cannot Answer The Questions’, ‘Pride Comes Before A Fall’ — Durotoye, Moghalu Lambast Buhari, Atiku

Fela Durotoye and Kingsley Moghalu, presidential candidates of the Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN) and Young Progressives Party (YPP), respectively, have berated the presidential candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for their absence at the presidential debate held on Saturday.
While President Muhammadu Buhari of APC didn’t turn up at all, Atiku Abubakar of PDP showed up but walked out when he realised Buhari wouldn’t attend the event.

See Also

Breaking News

BREAKING: Atiku Walks Out On Presidential Debate After Buhari’s Absence

0 Comments

2 Hours Ago

They stated their displeasure at the just-concluded presidential debate organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON).
When the moderator, Mark Eddo, asked Durotoye on the matter, he said the absence of the two political parties means they do not have the interest of the people at heart, noting that the APC and PDP are the two sides of a bad coin.
“Pride always come before a fall and every time you believe you have no need to tell the people what it is you’re going to do, it means you are not there to serve them in the first place,” he said.
Moghalu agreed with Durotoye.
“There are two reasons they are not here. One is arrogance. They believe that the people of Nigeria have no voice and no choice. The second reason they are not here is because they cannot answer the questions,” Moghalu said.

Elections

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>BREAKING: Buhari Already Attended A Debate On Wednesday, Says APC Campaign Council

The All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council has explained the absence of its presidential candidate, President Muhammadu Buhari, at the ongoing debate in Abuja.
A debate organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) is ongoing in Abuja.
Buhari did not show up for the event, while Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), left the venue when it became apparent the President would not attend.
However, a statement by Festus Keyamo, Director of Strategic Communications of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, on Saturday evening noted that Buhari had already attended an earlier debate on January 16, 2018.
Buhari and his Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo, had attended an event tagged ‘The Candidates’, a presidential town hall co-production between Daria Media and the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), supported by the MacArthur Foundation.
The organisation also said Buhari could not attend the debate because of the “busy and hectic official and campaign schedules” he has been participating in.
The statement read: “The President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, who is also the APC Presidential Candidate in the forthcoming Presidential Election, President Muhammadu Buhari, could not attend the Presidential Debate  organised by the Nigeria Election Debate Group and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria which held today, Saturday, January 19, 2019  for the following reasons:
“Firstly, out of several opportunities afforded our candidate to interact with the Nigerian people directly by different organisations, our presidential candidate has taken full advantage of another town-hall meeting organized by another group which held on Wednesday, January 16, 2019. He was also joined at that town-hall meeting by our Vice-Presidential candidate who is also the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN. Nigerians from all walks of life who were physically present and through on-line platforms asked uncensored questions which were adequately answered. It was also transmitted live by various broadcast networks in Nigeria.
“In addition, the busy and hectic official and campaign schedules of Mr. President clashed with this programme. Today, Mr. President commissioned the Baro Inland Water Port in Niger State and campaigned in Niger and Plateau States where his time was over-stretched by the tumultuous and mammoth crowds in both States, (as seen by Nigerians on live television) and only returned to Abuja late this evening.”
The campaign organisation thanked the organisers for the debate, while berating Atiku for “running away” on the basis of Buhari’s absence.
The statement continued: “Whilst we thank the organisers for the invitation, we want to assure Nigerians that we shall continue to hold these debate groups and Nigerians in high esteem which our candidate has demonstrated during past election debates when he honoured similar invitations. Nigerians will also recall that a few weeks ago, our Vice-Presidential candidate, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, also attended the debate organized by the same organisations.
“Lastly, we note the statement of the candidate of the PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar who actually came for the event and left the venue when he did not see Mr. President, who is our candidate. According to him, he would not want to ‘attack’ Mr. President in his absence.
“It should now be obvious to Nigerians that for Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and the PDP, this election is all about attacking the person and programmes of Mr. President and not about proffering their own solutions to the problems they created during their sixteen years of misrule, maladministration and looting of the nation’s resources. When they cannot see President Buhari to attack, the content of their campaign becomes hollow, empty and ‘full of sound and fury, signifying nothing’. Now that Atiku Abubakar had a unique opportunity to explain to Nigerians his own vision and mission without a President Buhari in the picture, he ran away. Afterall, he has his own eight years of crass and grand corruption as Vice President to defend before the Nigerian people.
“On February 16, 2019, we urge Nigerians to demonstrate to Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and the PDP, through their votes, how empty indeed their campaign has always been and to vote massively for President Muhammadu Buhari and Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN who have started the rebuilding process of our great nation.”

Elections

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

E2%80%94-ezekwesili-hits-buhari-atiku-shunning-debate target=_blank>‘They’ve Announced Their Exit From Governance’ — Ezekwesili Hits Buhari, Atiku For Shunning Debate

Oby Ezekwesili, presidential candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), says the absence of the Muhammadu Buhari and Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), respectively, is an announcement of their exit from governance.
She stated this at the presidential debate organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON), currently taking place in Abuja.
While Buhari had refused to turn up at all, Atiku was present earlier but later left the venue, premising his decision on the absence of Buhari.
Her words: “I’m not surprised they are not here. They have just simply announced their exit from governance. I think it is important for us to acknowledge that there is a political class that simply needs to fade away from our country, because the idea that the will of the people will be subjected to the whims and caprices of our politicians should be a total anomaly.
“Today, as we in this country focus on competitive ideas that will develop our country, if the two political parties cared about the Nigerian people, they would come here in order to have a contest of ideas on how we will fix Nigeria.
“Mark, I must let you know that for the Nigerian people, this is a moment to make a clear judgement as to whether we are connected to the issues that matter to the Nigerian people. We showed up for this debate not because we are new entrants sic into politics — and I hope I speak for my two colleagues — but because we believe that it is time for a new kind governance in Nigeria. 
“It is time for the citizens of this country to take complete charge of the destiny of Nigeria, and so we stand before you today not because we are the best in the country, but because we come with a sense that our country needs to be immediately rescued from the stranglehold of poor governance, bad politics and governance failure. I represent a mindset where the citizens who occupy the highest office in the land and give legitimacy to politics should become the drivers of the future of this country and it starts now.”
Sharing her plans on alleviating poverty, she said her administration’s target is to get at least 80 million Nigerians out of poverty if her party wins the next presidential election.
She continued: “Our plan is to lift at least 80 million people out of poverty. How we are going to do it is that we will look at Nigerians who are poor. It is very clear that they are poor because they earn less than N700 a day and live on it.
“What therefore needs to happen is that this majority of Nigerians, over 50 per cent of them, would need to increase their productivity. When people have higher productivity, they earn more and when they earn more, they lift themselves out of poverty.”
She also said she would empower women, as women have proven to be more productive than their male counterparts when empowered.

Elections

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>BREAKING: Atiku Apologises For Walkout, Challenges Buhari To Pick Date, Time Of New Debate

Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has explained why he left the venue of the ongoing presidential debate, minutes after the programme started.
The presidential debate is organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) and taking place in Abuja. According to Atiku, there was no point participating in the debate if the man in charge of affairs in the present administration is not present.
He apologised to Nigerians for leaving the venue, but challenged President Muhammadu Buhari to pick the date and time of another debate where all the candidates would guarantee attendance.

See Also

Breaking News

BREAKING: Buhari Shuns NEDG Presidential Debate

0 Comments

3 Hours Ago

The statement read: “We came here for a Presidential debate, not a candidacy debate, and I, Atiku Abubakar can not challenge or question an administration where the man at the helm of the affairs of the nation is not present to defend himself or his policies. After all you cannot shave a man’s head in his absence.
“I do not believe in attacking a man who is NOT here to defend himself. As a leader and former vice president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, let me first apologise to all Nigerians, my fellow candidates and the moderator for the the APC Presidential Candidate’s absence in this debate. His non-appearance is a slight on ALL of us and our democracy.

See Also

Breaking News

BREAKING: Atiku Walks Out On Presidential Debate After Buhari’s Absence

0 Comments

2 Hours Ago

“Secondly, with all due respect to my fellow candidates, Fela Durotoye, Oby Ezekwesili,  Kingsley Moghalu and to the moderator and with all apologies to my Fellow Nigerians here and at home expecting an interesting debate, I regret that I will not be able to go on with this debate due to President Buhari’s absence.
“I however challenge the President Buhari to choose a date and time for a debate where he will be present and I will be there, hopefully with the other candidates as well. Thank you and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Elections

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>BREAKING: Atiku Walks Out On Presidential Debate After Buhari’s Absence

Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has walked out of the presidential debate organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations Nigeria (BON) for candidates of five of the parties participating in the 2019 presidential election.
Fela Durotoye of the Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN), Oby Ezekwesili of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), Kingsley Moghalu of the Young Progressives Party (YPP), President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) were the five candidates billed to participate in the debate. 

See Also

Breaking News

BREAKING: Buhari Shuns NEDG Presidential Debate

0 Comments

3 Hours Ago

While the first three candidates are currently participating in the debate, the latter two are conspicuously missing.
Buhari did not attend outright, but SaharaReporters spotted Atiku at the venue and subsequently inside it. However, a note was passed on to the moderator just as he was about to be introduced; the moderator therefore moved on to introduce Moghalu of YPP.
Atiku stayed in the audience for a while, but SaharaReporters saw him leave at exactly 7:20pm.

Elections

Politics

Breaking News

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>BREAKING: Buhari Shuns NEDG Presidential Debate

The presidential debate organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) has kicked off, with President Muhammadu Buhari, candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), conspicuously absent.
At exactly 7pm when the debate began, Buhari had not reached the venue, with sources telling SaharaReporters he doesn’t intend to attend.
Fela Durotoye of the Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN), Oby Ezekwesili of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN) and Kingsley Moghalu of the Young Progressives Party (YPP) are all in attendance.
Atiku Abubakar, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party was spotted outside the venue of the debate but hasn’t been seen inside the hall so far. 
The debate is going on in Abuja.

Elections

Politics

Breaking News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>LIVE: NEDG Presidential Debate Kicks Off Without Buhari

Elections

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>Body Of Senior Advocates Backs Onnoghen, Says ‘He Acted Rightly In Not Appearing Before CCT’

The Body of Senior Advocates of Nigeria (BOSAN) has risen to the defence of Walter Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, stating that the embattled judge “acted rightly in not appearing before the CCT on the day so summoned”.
BOSAN said this in a draft communiqué sent to SaharaReporters on Saturday before it held a meeting in Lagos on Saturday.
The body expressed concerns concerned that the issue of wrong declaration of assets faced by the CJN has been politicised, hence preventing “an objective discussion of the relevant issues calling for determination”.
Onnoghen had been billed to be arraigned at the Code of Conduct Tribunal last week, but he failed to appear, claiming he was not served directly.

See Also

Breaking News

BREAKING: CCT Adjourns Onnoghen’s Trial Till January 22

0 Comments

5 Days Ago

Onnoghen was charged on a six-count charge bordering on wrongful declaration of assets and possession of bank accounts in foreign currencies, which contravened the code of conduct for public office holders.

See Also

Corruption

Nigeria’s Chief Justice Onnoghen To Face Corruption, Assets Declaration Charges

0 Comments

1 Week Ago

At the end of the meeting, BOSAN said it aligns with the position of Paul Usoro, President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA).
In a statement signed by Usoro, the NBA had condemned the planned arraignment of the Onnoghen, questioning the hurry of the government to arraign the CJN.
BOSAN’s post-meeting communiqué, signed by Professor Ben Nwabueze (SAN and Seyi Sowemimo (SAN), read: The Body of Senior Advocates of Nigeria (“the Body”) at its meeting heId at the Nigerian Law Schoool, Adeola Hopewell Street, Victoria Island. Lagos on Saturday 19th January 2019 considered issues of national importance and resolved as follows:- “I. The Body of Senior Advocates of Nigeria deplores the situation that has arisen from the preferment of charges against the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) and head of the Nigerian Judiciary before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CcT).
“2. The Body urges respect for the Constitution, the rule of law, separation of powers, due process and the proper administration of justice.
“3. In the prevailing circumstances, all parties are urged to consider the impact of their respective actions on the administration of justice in Nigeria and public confidence in our institutions.
“4. The Body recognises that the matter is sub judice (befoFe the CCT and other courts) and we refrain from commenting on the merits or otherwise of  any  of the cases.
“5. The Body considers that these issues must be resolved carefully and responsibly in the interest of the legal profession and the nation.
“6. The Body of Senior Advocates of Nigeria continues to endorse the core values of good governance, public integrity and sustenance of democracy in the spirit of the Constitution.”

Corruption

Legal

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

PHOTOS: Atiku Returns To Nigeria After First US Visit In 13 Years

Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), is back in Abuja after a visit to the United States of America.
He returned to Nigeria on Saturday.
He travelled to the US on January 17, 2019 — 13 years since his last visit.
He had also expressed his optimism of the US support of his candidature, while speaking in an interview with Voice of America (VOA) on Friday.
Present with him in the US were Senate President Bukola Saraki, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, among others.
He landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Saturday afternoon, but stayed back in the aircraft for a while before he alighted.

Elections

International

Politics

News

PhotoNews

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters

Disable advertisements

Sahara Reporters Latest News

You can also check Sahara Reporters Newspaper Headlines Today