Sahara Reporters Latest News Wednesday 26th December 2018

Sahara Reporters Latest News Wednesday 26th December 2018

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today and headlines on some of the happenings and news trend in the Country, today 26/12/18

Read also Leadership Newspapers News Today Wednesday 26th December 2018

target=_blank>JUST IN: 12 Soldiers, One Policeman Killed In Boko Haram Ambush

Troops succeeded in repelling a Boko Haram terrorist attack on a Forward Operational Base at Kukareta in Damaturu Local Government Area of Yobe State, the Nigerian Army said on Tuesday.
According to Onyema nwachukwu, a Colonel and the Deputy Director of Public Relations, Theatre Command, the terrorists attacked the location at about 6.30 pm on Monday but met with “prompt and fierce response of the vigilant troops who engaged and overpowered them, killing several of the terrorists”. 
Nwachukwu said a soldier was wounded in the encounter. But many more were unlucky in a separate encounter with insurgents.
“Troops of 1 Division on escort duty along Damaturu-Maiduguri road yesterday fought through an ambush staged by Boko Haram terrorists,” Nwachukwu said.
“The gallant troops engaged the terrorists in a firefight, courageously wading through the ambush. Sadly, 13 military and police personnel, including a police officer, paid the supreme price while extricating themselves from the ambush. A clearance Operation to pursue and eliminate the Boko Haram terrorists ambush party is still ongoing.”
He added that the bodies of the gallant soldiers and the policeman and the wounded had been evacuated, while the wounded soldier was already receiving treatment. 

Boko Haram

Insurgency

Terrorism

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>Catholic Priests Kidnapped In Anambra

Two Catholic priests have been kidnapped by unknown gunmen at Nneyi Umeri area of Anambra State.
According to NAN, the clerics were kidnapped while on their way back from Onitsha on Monday evening.
A source who disclosed news of the killing, noted that the priests were serving in Umueze Anam in Anambra West Local Government Area of the state, and were on their way back to prepare for the visit of Cardinal Francis Arinze to the town, when they were abducted by the hoodlums.
“The priests are working at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Umueze Anam, and were kidnapped at Nneyi village, Umuleri area at about 7:30pm on Monday,” he said.
Haruna Muhammed, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, confirmed the incident, stating that a patrol team attached to Otuocha Division had recovered a light grey Toyota Corolla car marked FST 689 FL, which was abandoned on the Nneyi Umueri road.
According to Muhammed, investigation revealed that the car belonged to a priest allegedly kidnapped by yet-to-be-identified gunmen. He also added that the Police were making efforts to rescue the victims.

CRIME

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>MURIC Wants EFCC To Investigate Source Of Seized $2.8m

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) not to release the $2.8million seized from bank officials at the Enugu Airport.
The EFCC had claimed it intercepted the money in transit based on information it gathered that the men bearing the cash were money launderers.

See Also

Corruption

Two Arrested At Enugu Airport For ‘Carrying’ $2.8m Cash For ‘Some Notable Banks’

0 Comments

4 Days Ago

However, Director of MURIC, Professor Ishaq Akintola, urged the anti-graft agency to thoroughly investigate the funds. He also alleged that the cash might belong to politicians, who plan to use it for vote buying.
“It is also common knowledge that looters who have hidden money in uncommon places are most likely to be making attempts to bring them out in these electioneering days. The $2.8million may be the break we have been waiting for. It may lead us to other funds. That money may belong to one of those looting politicians who want to use it to buy votes,” he said.
He also added that: “The confession of the two suspects that they have been conveying such cash for notable banks for more than six years raises eyebrows. The matter must be properly investigated before the cash can be released. The bank may be grandstanding for all we care.”

Corruption

Elections

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>IRC: Nigeria Among Top 10 Countries Most At Risk Of Humanitarian Catastrophe In 2019

Site of a bomb explosion in Maiduguri , Borno State

Site of a bomb explosion in Maiduguri, Borno State

AFP/Getty Images

Nigeria has been ranked among the top ten countries most at risk of humanitarian crises in 2019.
The ranking, which was released by the International Rescue Committee (IRC), has 21 countries on its list, with Yemen taking the top spot.
According to the list which was published on December 17, 2018, the 2019 elections may also play a role in sparking greater conflict.
According to the publication by IRC, “The International Rescue Committee’s emergency response experts have ranked the countries most at risk of humanitarian catastrophe next year”, noting that the top ten, “account for approximately half of internally displaced people and two-thirds of refugees across the globe”.
“2018 was a devastating year for millions around the world, with more people displaced from their homes than ever before. In many of the world’s most challenging places, armed conflict and man-made crisis mean life will get worse and not better in 2019,” Bob Kitchen, the IRC’s Vice President for Emergencies, said.
With Nigeria taking the number eight spot on the top ten list, other countries are Yemen, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Syria, Central African Republic, Ethiopia and Somalia.
On Nigeria’s position, IRC noted that: “During 2018, Nigeria has experienced persistent attacks from armed groups as well as communal violence exacerbated by competition for water and land resources. As a result, Over 2 million Nigerians have been displaced internally and 230,000 have sought refuge in neighboring countries”.
On the outlook for 2019, the IRC stated that: “Violence could intensify, triggering more displacements and exacerbating food insecurity for millions of Nigerians. The presidential election in February 2019 may also have a destabilizing impact and could spark greater conflict, leading to further displacement”.

Boko Haram

Elections

Human Rights

Insurgency

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>My Cocaine By Remi Oyeyemi

Spring Board Recovery

Addicted, I am
To my darling Cocaine
Helpless I am
When it comes to her.
 
My beloved Cocaine
Defence, none do I have
Her onslaught against
Overpowered, I am.
 
“Just say no,”
So they all advise
But unable, I have been
To say ‘No’ or resist.
 
Thoughts of her
Merely melts me
Watery, I become
Like a soluble salt.
 
Sight of her
Her beauty, glowing 
Innocuously, gleaning
Decapitating, more it is.
 
Her mere presence
Awesomeness, I feel
Kneecapped, I seem
Powerless, I am.
 
My darling Cocaine
A touch of her
Paradise, it sends
Seventh heaven, I find.
 
My sweet Cocaine
A touch by her
My marrow, it suffuses
My blood, it heats.
 
Dependent, I am
Devoted, I am
Obsessed, I am
Hooked, I am.
 
You, I have to have
For without you
Worthless, this life is
My sweet Cocaine.
 
From your bondage
Freedom, I want not
Liberty means nothing
Curse, liberation is.
 
The ecstasy of your yoke
The comfort of your captivity
Without, I cannot do
My darling Cocaine.
 
Please, on my knees I plead
Have you, let me
“Snuff” you, let me
My dear Cocaine.
 
Let go, I can’t
Love you, I do
Helplessly, so
Infinitely, so.
 
My sweet baby
My dearest lover
My precious heart
My beautiful soul
My darling Cocaine.
 
Who art thou?
Thou, I knoweth
Thyself, thou knoweth
My Cocaine. My darling.
 
For you this Christmas from your own Remi Oyeyemi. I love you baby. My Cocaine.
©Remi Oyeyemi.

Drugs

POETRY

AddThis

Original Author

Remi Oyeyemi

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>ASUU Must Not Only Sit At Home But Also Hold Mass Protests, Says Student Group

The Education Rights Campaign has called on the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to engage in mass actions to press further its demand on the Nigerian Government for better funding of the education sector.
Lagos Coordinator of ERC, Nurudeen Omomeewa, maintained that the federal government team led by Wale Babalakin would not agree to the deal signed by ASUU and the government until Nigerian students, civil societies, NGOs, parents and ASUU compel the government to do so through mass protests.
ASUU had announced its decision to embark on a strike in November 2018 at the end of its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held at the Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA) in Ondo State.

See Also

Breaking News

BREAKING: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike

0 Comments

1 Month Ago

Speaking on the strike action embarked upon by the academic staff organisation, he said: “The ASUU leadership must map out public activities, mass meetings, rallies and protests that are capable of attracting Nigerian students, civil societies and parents to the struggle on the need to save public university education from collapse.”
He also added that for there to be permanent solution to the funding of education in the country, government must create an economy that requires the need for the highly-skilled manpower produced in public universities.
He, however, noted that this would be impossible under capitalism and called on organised labour union to get involved in politics.
“This is impossible under capitalism, a socio-economic system that is fundamentally inequitable and that promotes wealth at one end and mass poverty at the other. For this to happen, we need a mass workers party built by the trade unions, mass organisations of the working people and socialists, to lead the revolutionary uprising of the working masses to topple capitalism,” he said.
ERC urged ASUU to play the leading role in “provoking a discussion within the ranks of the labour movement, civil society and Socialists for the formation of such a mass workers party and a programme to fight for political power”.

Education

Human Rights

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>ADP: Politicians Must Imbibe Selflessness

The Action Democratic Party (ADP) has called on political leaders to replicate the example of Jesus Christ and be selfless.
A statement signed by Lagos ADP Publicity Secretary, Adelaja Adeoye, also advised Lagosians to use the period of Christmas to reflect on common goals that will develop the develop.
He maintained that politicians must imbibe service to citizens to bring true development to the state.
“Political leaders must begin to be selfless; shun corrupt practices, therefore bringing true development to the people. Nigerians, irrespective of religious faith, should use this period to spread love and care to the less privileged amongst us,” he said.
He, however, expressed concern over the economic situation in Lagos, attributing it to “bad policies by the APC-led administration”.
He also noted that ADP had mapped out strategies to adequately solve the “growing suffering and harsh conditions Lagosians are being exposed to”.
“These are issues that our party has set out to solve once and for all when given the opportunity to serve as we have now presented Lagosians with credible candidates from the governorship, Senate, House of Representatives and Assembly,” he added.
He urged Lagosians to use their electoral power to change their fortune for good at the next poll stating that: “Having survived the challenges that 2018 presented, we are optimistic that 2019 will be a better year for all Lagosians. We wish you all a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year”.

Politics

News

AddThis

Featured Image

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

target=_blank>37 Killed During Protest In Sudan

Dozens of persons have been killed during a peaceful march in Sudan.
The incident occurred during a protest by Sudanese citizens against the poor economic state of the country that has seen the rise of electricity, fuel, food, and medicine that have all been linked to President Omar al-Bashir’s policies.
The Sudanese have been engaging the government through protests calling on the government to rise to the occasion.
Residents have gathered to protest in places like Wad Madani, Port Sudan, Gebeit, Al-Qadarif, Atbara, Berber, Dongla, Karima, Al-Damazin, Al Obeid, Al Fasher, Khartoum and Omdurman.
Since the protest commenced on December 14, dozens of peaceful protesters have also been arrested and detained by the Sudanese government.
The citizens have, however, vowed to continue the protest on December 25, 2018, with the hashtag ’25th December Procession’ already getting many impressions on social media.
According to Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for East Africa, the Great Lakes and the Horn, Sarah Jackson, the government must be called to order and stop using armed military officers against protesters.
Speaking on the protest scheduled to hold on Tuesday, the deputy director said: “The fact that the security forces are using lethal force so indiscriminately against unarmed protesters is extremely troubling.
“With dozens already dead, the government must rein in this deadly use of force and prevent more unnecessary bloodshed.
“Instead of trying to stop people from demonstrating, the authorities should be focusing on ending longstanding repression of human rights and resolving the economic crisis that have collectively precipitated these protests.” 
Sudan government has also shut down the internet since December 20, in an attempt to stop the protests from reaching global audience.

ACTIVISM

Economy

Food

Human Rights

International

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

E2%80%8B target=_blank>Otedola To Sell Forte Oil Shares, Exit Fuel Business​

The Chairman of Forte Oil Plc, Mr Femi Otedola, has announced his decision to sell all his shares in the firm’s downstream business.
This is coming more than three years after the firm sold 17 per cent of its equity to a Swiss oil trading firm.
Forte Oil disclosed on Monday the divestment by its majority shareholder in a notice signed by its General Counsel, Mr Akinleye Olagbende.
The notice read in part, “Forte Oil Plc hereby notifies the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Securities and Exchange Commission, shareholders and the investing community that its majority shareholder, Mr Femi Otedola, has reached an agreement with the Prudent Energy team, investing through Ignite Investments and Commodities Limited, to divest of his full 75 per cent direct and indirect shareholding in the company’s downstream business.
“Mr Otedola’s divestment from the downstream business is pursuant to his decision to explore and maximise business opportunities in refining and petrochemicals. The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of 2019 subject to the satisfaction of various conditions and receipt of applicable regulatory approvals.”
According to the firm, Standard Chartered Bank, Corporate Finance & Advisory, Dubai, and Olaniwun Ajayi LP served as financial and legal advisers respectively to Otedola, while PricewaterhouseCoopers and Stanbic IBTC Capital Limited served as joint financial advisors and Sefton Fross served as legal advisor to Ignite Investments and Commodities Limited.
The firm, however, stated that the notification was not intended to constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any of the ordinary shares or any other securities.
“There will be no sale of the ordinary shares or any other securities in any state or jurisdiction in which such an offer solicitation or sale is not permitted.”
Forte Oil emerged the sixth biggest gainer at the end of trading on the NSE on Monday as its share price rose by 9.84 per cent to close at N31.25.
In October 2015, the firm announced that the Mercuria Energy Group Holdings SA has acquired 17 per cent of its equity, valued at $200m.
The firm said in a statement that Mercuria Energy had made inroads into the West African energy sector through direct investment in Forte Oil.
According to the statement, Mercuria is joining forces with Forte Oil at an auspicious time when equitable funding and expertise is needed to expand and intensify its market penetration to give the company the leverage to further create a positive impact for all shareholders.
Forte Oil, formerly known as African Petroleum Plc, operates majorly in the downstream sector of the oil and gas industry. The group has interests in power generation and upstream services.

PUNCH NEWSPAPER

AddThis

Original Author

Punch Newspaper

Disable advertisements

$8.1b Remittance: CBN, MTN Nigeria Reach Truce

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and MTN Nigeria Communications have resolved issues relating to the $8.1 billion foreign exchange remittances by the telecom giant, the apex bank announced yesterday.
In a statement, the CBN, however, identified that the proceeds from the preference shares in MTNN’s private placement remittances of 2008 were irregular, having been based on Certificate of Capital Importation (CCIs) that were issued without the final approval of CBN.
“The CBN and MTNN have mutually agreed that the aforementioned transaction be reversed notionally to bring it into full compliance with foreign exchange laws and regulations,” the CBN said.
In August, last year, the apex bank directed MTNN to reverse repatriations valued at $8.1 billion done on its behalf by four commercial banks between 2007 and 2015 on the basis of CCIs irregularly issued to MTNN.
The apex bank said that following the keen interest shown by various stakeholders sequel to the regulatory action, the CBN committed to engage further with MTNN with a view to achieving an equitable resolution.
“Consequent upon the above, MTNN, led by its Nigerian shareholders, held intensive engagements with the CBN in the course of which it supplied additional material information, not previously offered to the bank, satisfactorily clarifying its remittances.
“Having now reviewed the additional documentation provided by the company, the CBN has concluded that MTNN is no longer required to reverse the historical dividend payments made to MTN Nigeria shareholders.
“The parties have resolved that execution of the terms of the agreement will lead to amicable disposal of the pending legal suit between the parties and final resolution of the matter.
“The CBN assures foreign investors that the integrity of the CCIs issued by authorized dealers remain sacrosanct. Potential investors are encouraged to take advantage of the enormous investment opportunities that abound within Nigeria.”

The Nation Newspaper

AddThis

Original Author

The Nation Newspaper

Disable advertisements

Sahara Reporters Latest News

You can also check Sahara Reporters Newspaper Headlines Today